Broadway Commercial Dance Lab
Broadway Commercial Dance Lab
Directed by Tony Award nominated actor/dancer Elizabeth Parkinson, Broadway Commercial Dance Lab focuses on the unique and varied skill set that every dancer needs to work on Broadway and in the commercial dance industry. Versatility is the key to a dancer’s success in today's dance environment.
|Broadway Commercial Dance Lab
July 12- July 23, 2021
|Broadway Commercial Dance Lab
July 12 - July 16, 2021
For summer 2021 BCDL will continue to innovate and take advantage of the Zoom online learning platform. The program will be even more focused to take into account “Zoom Fatigue”. The year 2020 brought many challenges and changes to the dance world. Many of those changes including video, online auditions and TikTok are here to stay! Every dancer needs to master these tools eﬀectively for a successful career.
- Dancers can opt for one week participation, however they will not be able to participate in the Repertory Workshop (details TBA).
- Dance curriculum will include but is not limited to a ballet or jazz warm up, theatre dance, commercial jazz, hip hop, Broadway tap, and precision jazz/kick line. Students will also have additional evening master classes and Q and A sessions with renowned choreographers and industry professionals. Additional workshops will be given in financial literacy for freelance dancers, marketing and branding, and audition techniques.
- All dancers will receive an introduction to singing workshop and the opportunity to schedule thirty-minute private coaching sessions.
- Acting classes will focus on individual monologues, two-person scene work, and self-taping techniques.
- Street jazz classes will also guide dancers through the process of dancing for the camera, self-producing and editing high quality dance videos for creative expression, auditions, and self promotion on social media platforms.
- All teachers and choreographers will choose and create choreography that is suitable for small spaces.
- Small group rap sessions will be held for mentoring, wellness chats, and community building!
- High speed internet
- A space that is at least 6x6 ft to work in.
- A ballet barre
- A smart phone or GoPro for video work.
- A computer, iPad, or phone for Zoom. A larger screen will make for a more comfortable experience
- A yoga mat
|11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m||Acting|
|12:05 p.m. - 1:05 p.m.||Ballet/Jazz Warm-up|
|1:15 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.||Hip Hop|
|2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.||Theatre Dance|
|4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
(2-week attendees only)
|Master Class with Industry Professional|
Audition deadline extended to May 16!
General Audition Information
All auditions will be online for the summer of 2021. A video audition is required for admission into the Broadway Commercial Dance Lab
Applicants must be 14 years old by June 21, 2021.
Video auditions will open on January 4, 2021, and close on May 16, 2021. We encourage you to send video submissions early as space for the intensive is limited.
There is a $30.00 audition fee, which must be paid in full prior to video submission. Below is the link for audition registration:
After you have registered for the audition and paid the fee, we will send you an email address for audition materials.
Audition results will be sent via email; if you do not hear from us within two weeks of your audition, please contact Elizabeth Parkinson at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about the results of your audition.
Due to the high volume of audition participation, individual feedback from auditions cannot be given.
Online Intensive Audition Requirements
Your video audition should be a single video link or file, no more than 10 minutes in length, containing all of the elements outlined below. Only one side needs to be shown for each combination. The video frame should show the full body throughout and not include any dancers other than the applicant. The video must be taken recently, not more than three months prior to submission.
- Your video link (Youtube or Vimeo preferred) or file is required to be emailed to an address we will provide after audition registration and payment.
- Applicants must wear practice clothes
- Do not wear skirts, loose-fitting tee-shirts, or leg warmers
- Wear clothing that contrasts with the filming environment so that you can be seen clearly and stand out from the background.
BCDL Audition Video Requirements
Applicants must include the following steps in their video:
- Barre work (maximum of 5 minutes; only one side needed for each combination)
- Plié, tendu/degage, rond de jambe, passé développé (front, side, and back), grand battement, and a balance on one leg in attitude back.
- Center Work (maximum 2 minutes)
- Three phrases that travel across the floor: one demonstrating the use of space, one demonstrating chaine and pique turns, and one demonstrating grand jeté. (Optional, if you have enough space to execute the combination safely)
- A one to two-minute self or professionally-choreographed solo or a one to two-minute improv solo
Live Zoom Audition, May 16
UNCSA Summer Dance is excited to announce our 2021 virtual audition day! Dancers interested in attending our Classical Ballet, Contemporary, Professional Studies, and Broadway Commerical Dance Lab intensives may choose to attend our virtual audition day on May 16th. Please see the audition video submission requirements if you cannot attend the virtual audition day.
The audition schedule will be as follows. All times are EST.
Ages 12 and older
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Ballet Class
1:15 pm - 2:00 pm Pointe Class
1:15 pm - 2:15 pm Zoom Room 2 Contemporary Class
2:15 pm - 3:00 pm Summer Dance Informational Meeting (optional)
Ages 15 and older
3:00 pm - 4:00pm - Professional Studies Audition - warmup, phrase work and improvisation.
Students interested in attending the Classical Ballet Intensive or Broadway Commercial Dance Lab or the Contemporary program will be evaluated for these intensives during their ballet class.
Register here to attend the virtual audition day:
Audition fee - $30.00 - Classical Ballet, Contemporary, Broadway Commerical Dance Lab.
If you have any questions, please contact Summer Program director Ashley Lindsey at email@example.com.