Broadway Commercial Dance Lab
Broadway Commercial Dance Lab
Directed by Broadway legend Elizabeth Parkinson, this program focuses on the very unique and varied skill set every Broadway and Commercial dancer must have.
|Session 1 (2 weeks)||
June 21 - July 3, 2020
|Session 2 (3 weeks)||
July 6 - July 25, 2020
Our philosophy is simple: excellent dance, vocal and acting technique, and business savvy are the foundation for all of today’s successful Broadway and Commercial dance professionals. We anchor the sessions in daily Ballet class and springboard from there into Theatre Dance, Jazz, Hip Hop, Precision Jazz and industry workshops. Top professionals from the industry will work with the students on past and current Broadway repertory as well as original commercial choreography. Sessions are conducted in a professional manner that reflect industry expectations while maintaining a focus on experimentation, creativity, letting go of limiting mindsets, and the performers' passion for their craft.
Students will have additional classes in voice, acting, acting for the camera, and dancing for the camera, as well as seminars on money management, personal branding, college admissions and the business of commercial and theatre dance. There will also be an additional focus on audition techniques with faculty members and a commercial/theatrical agent from NYC.
Session 1 is two weeks long, culminating in a studio presentation. Session 2 is three weeks long, culminating in a fully-produced concert at the Stevens Center.
Tentative professional faculty will include but are not limited to:
- Elizabeth Parkinson, Ballet and Fosse Repertory
- Greg Walters, Voice
- Jeremy Skidmore, Acting
- Scott Wise, Tap, Theatre Dance, and Vocal Performance
- Mary Ann Lamb, Jazz
- Tre Holloway, Hip Hop
- Laurie Kanyok, Audition Techniques
- Cheryl Cutlip, Precision Jazz
- Krisha Marcano, Musical Theatre Dance
Please click the button above to submit an application for this program. Then follow the audition instructions to submit your audition. We will notify you by email whether you have been accepted or not accepted. If accepted, the email will contain a link to make a payment to secure your place in the program.
If you wish to be considered for admission to the Broadway and Commercial Dance Lab, you must audition by video audition via e-mailed link.
Video Email Audition Requirements
Please provide all requested information below by email to Elizabeth Parkinson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Video auditions are open now and close on March 25, 2020. We encourage you to send video submission early. No fee required.
- Student’s name, date of birth, mailing address, email address and phone number
- Please denote auditioning for Broadway and Commercial Dance Lab
- Link to online video
- Applicants should wear recommended attire (see below)
- Applicants must be 14 years old by June 21, 2020
Video Email Audition Must Include
- In the center with no barre: Plié in first and second positions, tendu, and dégagés not to exceed two minutes in length filmed from the side.
- In addition, three combinations:
- A ballet combination demonstrating use of space and pirouettes of your choice.
- A combination in your choice of style (theatre dance, ballet, or jazz): demonstrating dynamic leaps and extensions.
- A combination reflecting your personality in your favorite genre of dance (commercial jazz, hip hop, ballet, jazz, tap or theatre dance). Please do not exceed 3 minutes.
- Dancers may send in solo videos from the 2019/2020 competition circuit if applicable.
- For ladies: black leotard with black tights, ballet shoes, theatre heels, jazz shoes depending on the choreography you are executing. Sneakers and additional clothing may be worn for hip hop.
- For men: dance belt, black t-shirt, black tights or very close fitting athletic pants, black ballet shoes, men's character shoes, jazz shoes depending on the choreography that you are executing. Sneakers and additional clothing may be worn for hip hop.
Results of video auditions will be sent via email. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of your audition, please contact Elizabeth Parkinson at email@example.com to inquire about the results of your audition. Due to high volume of audition participation, individual feedback from auditions cannot be given.